Wild Edible Plants . . .

This site is a database for wild edible plants of North America. I encourage any users to leave comments reflecting their experiences with a certain plant. Much of our knowledge of edible plants is either lost, superstitious or incorrect. There's a lot of hype about how dangerous wild plants can be, when in reality most are not only safe they're critical for your health.

My perspective is somewhat unique in that my family and I have camped as a lifestyle for over a decade - essentially lived with edible plants and used them on a daily basis. We have also been raw fooders for a very long period. Becoming 100% raw vegan sparked my interest in edible plants like nothing else. Every day I was out hiking the trails barefoot, eating grass, eating flowers, trying parts of the many plants I came across with a clean palate . . .

Using wild edible plants is the best way we can defy the system, maintain our health, and get our independence back.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Kennesaw Mountain

.
We took a trip to the base of Kennesaw Mountain today to look for wild edibles. But we've had a lot of cold this winter, and Kennesaw is far behind where it usually is this time of year. There's not much growing - though the honeysuckle is flowering. The cream flowers smell intensely sweet, with a lot of nectar - but the base of the flowers is harsh, sort of like daylily. There's a farm across the street from the trailhead, and the girls fed the goats and lama and pony a bag of carrots.
.
Today is Day 3 of going 100% raw. I had a green smoothie with kale this morning. My daughters and I split a 10 pound durian for lunch. I had another green smoothie later (with collards - excellent). I felt great from all this. I'd been soaking sesame seeds all day for tahini. I drained and rinsed them, and tried blending them up with the juice of one lemon. Didn't work - gritty. I finally got out my little hand-held grinder to do the job:

I ran the seeds through twice to get them into mush. I added a little Real Salt. I ate this for a while with celery, then remembered we have some small seedy tangerines in the fridge. I juiced 4 of these and put it in the blender with my tahini mush. This had a great flavor, though not the usual tahini consistency - it was more wet. But afterwards my stomach hurt and I felt like I ate way too much.

The secret of going raw is to never go hungry, but also, to never eat too much. I thought by first soaking the seeds they would be more digestible - we'll see.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment